Monday, May 09, 2005

Finally! Something other than knitting!

So here's the long story:
There have always been feral cats running in and out of the backyard of my apartment building. I didn't ever really pay them any attention--my domestic feline hellion keps my hands pretty full.
One night about a month ago, my cat started hissing up a storm on the windowsill. I run over to find a cat sitting calmly on the other side of the screen staring in (with a trace of longing, perhaps?) Throughout the night the cat goes from one window to another, just staring in at me with these big green eyes. It goes without saying that I'm a sucker for animals. (Shh--Don't tell anyone else, it's a sign of weakness!)
Anyway, the cat stopped sitting on my windowsills, but a little while later, I saw her sitting with a little furball at her side. Holy crap! A kitten! Kittens are my kryptonite. They are just too damn cute and remove all logical thought from my head.
Over the next few days, I saw two others.
So basically, I wanted to do something about helping these kittens. After speaking to some people, I decided Trap-Neuter-Release (see Neighborhood Cats for more info on TNR) might be the best thing for the kitties and their adult compatriots.
And yes, I realize that most people (such as my SO) and even my cat probably think I'm completely insane for wanting take all this time an effort just to trap me some feral cats, fix 'em up, and throw 'em back out there. Even my logical half thinks so. Maybe I just want to make a little difference. *Cue cheesy music and fade*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home